Indian Village


Here's another attraction I didn't get to see for myself.
Or at least if I did I was too young to remember.

Pre-opening:




The Indian Village opened in 1955 with authentic Native Americans who performed ceremonial dances in the Ceremonial Dance Circle. The dances included The Omaha (also known as the War Dance), The Shield, Spear, The Eagle, The Zuni-Comanche, The Mountain Spirit, and The Friendship Dance. Each tribe usually performed for six months and then another tribe would be brought in to perform their own versions of their tribal customs. 


Great picture of the chief:









Kids were invited to participate during the shows.



The village moved in 1956 to what is now Critter Country. The Village contained tee-pees, totem poles, and a burial ground. Guests could meet a real Chief, buy authentic crafts at the Trading Post, or paddle a War Canoe.





By 1971 guests had lost enough interest in this area of the park that it was closed down and Bear Country was built. The War Canoes became Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes and the Trading Post stayed until 1989, when it became the Briar Patch for Splash Mountain.

I love the old Disney attractions. I would love to find some old home movies of these and watch them and pretend I was there!

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment