Mad Tea Party / Tea Cups


The Tea Cups were one of the original rides at Disneyland and with Dumbo, are the only 2 rides to switch locations.

It started out behind the carousel and was moved to it's new location in 1983.

Something I didn't know was that the teacups can't operate in the rain. When the turntables get wet they slip and can't spin. For the first two years of the ride there were no brakes or clutches and there was no limit as to how fast the cups could spin. I can't imagine going on them like that with Jeff... I would pass out from the amount of G's he could create.

I realized as I was looking for pictures that there are only so many views you can have of the ride. After the first few they all start to look the same.

Here is an overhead shot that was either taken early in the morning or on a very low crowd day.


This shot shows its proximity to the carousel:


And on the other side is the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship:


Here's a closer look at the teacups..... There was no door or chain to keep you inside so if you slipped too far one way or the other... out you go! (I doubt that ever happened but the mother in me worries about these things!)


I love this shot because you can see both the castle and one of the skyway cars:


And here is another overhead showing Alice, the White Rabbit and the Mad Hatter making an appearance right in the middle of the ride.


I always love this ride and am glad I don't get cup-sick. I really wish you could spin them faster now-a-days though!

Hope you all have a really great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment